Who is this course for?
This in-person course is designed to support anyone who is currently planning their first STEM-related public engagement activity or those who have some experience of communicating their work to the public but would like to cement their learning in this area.
Focusing on in-person events where you will be sharing content with small groups, this course would be suitable for anyone who is interested in delivering public engagement activities such as science festivals or working with school groups.
It would be helpful if you have an upcoming public engagement opportunity where you will be able to put the tools and ideas discussed on the course into practice, however this is not a barrier to participating.
Book a course at the Science Museum, London
What can I expect?
Pulling together years of experience and recent research around STEM engagement, this practical workshop will demystify the process of creating engaging content and support you to develop and deliver events and activities for the public.
Course content includes:
- Understanding your audience
- What does engagement look like?
- The essential elements of engagement
- Writing and using learning outcomes
- Activity ideas for public engagement
- How to facilitate activities effectively
The course will be delivered in-person, using an active, participatory style including opportunities for you to discuss ideas with course leaders and fellow participants, reflect on your experiences and have a go at a variety of activities.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course, you will have:
- A better understanding of the needs and expectations of different audiences
- Practical tools and ideas for creating inspiring and engaging experiences and evaluating your success
- Tried and tested techniques for interacting with your audience and communicating your content
How much does it cost?
The standard course fee is £450pp.
Lunch, refreshments and all course materials are included.
Terms and conditions
This course is a ticketed event. By purchasing a ticket, you agree that our ticket terms and conditions apply.